Thread: Obama Care
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 12:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Scrubbs,

It has been several decades since I worked in the health insurance industry and much has changed.

Do any insurance companies offer any coverage without a "network" being a part of it?

The reason patients are not charged the "difference" between the amount charged and the amount allowed is due to a contractual obligation made between the provider and the insurance company. This is the reason there is a difference in coverage benefits from IN network and OUT of network. Providers OUT of network are usually NOT contractually obligated to accept the "allowed" amount as payment in full. In many of these cases, the patient may be held responsible for the difference or even the entire amount charged.

I am curious to know if anyone writes policies that have NO network restrictions. Has that gone the way of the dinosaur? Like I said, I have been out of the industry for several decades and only know what my personal situation and choices have been. I am in a POS plan which has a network. Do any policies still exist where you can see ANY doctor anywhere and be covered by your insurance without varying benefits?
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote