View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 05:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default How do you know if you have an infection under a root canal?

Hi Bryanna,
I just found this site, and you sound really knowledgeable. I have been having health problems for while, which have gone into my nervous system, and my best guess up till now, has been that they are related to chronic lyme disease. (I had a tick bite that remained red for a year, and I got sick around that time. However, tests were negative. Antibiotics helped but never totally cleared up my symptoms, so I have been trying with herbs and other naturopathic remedies)

But things are pretty bad now, and I am wondering about a different hypothesis. I just heard a friend's story about her long term chronic health problems (in her case bad migraines), which she finally discovered were due to infections underneath root canals. She had her root canaled teeth removed, and they cleaned out a lot of diseased toxic stuff under there, and her headaches went away. She sent me a link which alerted to me to the fact that there are often hidden infections underneath root canals, and which can lead to a variety of health problems, including neurological issues. Right now I feel like I have a permanent feeling of some kind of infection -- almost like I am drunk, tired, achy, and I have neuropathy in my hands and feet. ( I do not have diabetes-- been checked.)

I have one root canal, and it's been in the years since I had it that I have been feeling worse, which is also the same time period since I had the tick bite. But I have not had any particular teeth problems. How could I tell if I have an infection under my root canal?

thanks,
john

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post

I'm in the dental field and can clarify what it means to have an infected root canaled tooth.

The infection is actually inside of the tooth and it has spread into the jawbone. This is a common problem with root canaled teeth because the infected nerve material cannot be cleaned out of the canals completely which means there will always be some degree of infection inside of the tooth irrelevant of the number of times the tooth is root canaled. So a re treatment will not "clean out the root canal" or remove or decrease the infection in the tooth.

Sometimes a surgical treatment called an apicoectomy is suggested. This procedure is very painful, very costly, and will not remove or decrease the infection inside of the tooth.

The source of the infection is the tooth which means the infection will be present as long as the tooth is present. The only sure way to remove the infection is to remove the to remove the tooth.

I know this is not the news that you want to hear..... but I hope this information is helpful to you.

Bryanna
Sunjohn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote