View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 09:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiek View Post
I have an appointment with my new psych on Wednesday, so will report back. It is so frustrating at the moment dealing with the physical aspect is one thing, then the mental issues rear their head. My anxiety has been quite bad recently. I am currently on income protection and the company placed me under surveillance, this has caused major issues, whenever I leave the house I think I am being followed. Not a great feeling. I am hoping that the psyc might be able to help me out with this. Also I was wondering if anyone else has developed compulsions. I find myself doing things such as checking I locked the car or house 5 times. I do other strange things too, my husband said maybe it is because I am sort of in control of those things where as I have no control over my body at the moment. Has anyone experienced this
I have katie, it's not fun is it? Makes you feel like you're going mad... It's called OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and its normally caused by anxiety/stress of some kind - which completely explains it I think, because CRPS just throws everything about your life into chaos and fear and worry. I had it for a while when my first child was born, and I learnt to control it for the most part, although every now and then I'll do something weird like straightening something so it faces a certain way. Strangely enough my number was 5 as well, which is a bit spooky .

I never saw anyone about it at the time, and I've never really mentioned it. My Experience of GPs led me to believe that they would probably label it as a mental disorder, flag it up on my records forever, and just prescribe anti-depressants, which I didn't want. I've worked through it myself by basically reasoning through it. Mine was very much based on fear, and I sort of thought that if I didn't do a certain thing an exact way, something bad would happen. Illogical, but very real and scary at the time... It takes a lot of courage to mention it, I think that's really brave

Personally, I found talking through some of my OCD past with a therapist really helpful. It helps if they can just talk about it calmly and not like it's a huge issue or problem. Doctors tend to frown, scribble and prescribe - talking it through was far more healing, and makes it seem less hopeless and like you have a choice. I'd mention it to your new psych and see how they are with it - if they take it calmly, dont judge or try to fix you, and you feel safe to explore it with them, then great. If they make you feel uncomfortable about it, or like you are odd, then ignore them and seek help elsewhere. If you have a good GP and you have a close relationship, then try them if you feel it is getting out of hand, controlling you too much or generally you can't see a way forward. There are helplines as well, and advice online (stick to trusted sites though). If I can be any help, or you just want to talk, PM me.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

Bram

Coeliac since 2007.
Patella femoral arthritis both knees.

Keep smiling!

Last edited by Brambledog; 11-04-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Forgot a bit :)
Brambledog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote