View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 06:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question Scar tissue 1+ year post op

Hi everyone... Have read a lot of things on this site over the past couple of years, it's been a great resource for me in dealing with TOS on both sides of my body.

Quick back story: I'm a male in my early-mid 20's, former college athlete. First noticed symptoms in August of 2011. Went through the usual runaround (multiple docs, MRIs, EMGs, etc) for a few months before our head trainer/doc sent me to Stanford hospital for some tests. Ultimately, through botox relief, positive manual tests, etc, thought TOS was the right diagnosis. After learning more about it, I could tell it's what was going on. Everything suddenly made perfect sense.

Anyway... had first rib resection (I don't have cervical ribs) and scalenectomy on my right side at Stanford in July of 2012. Compared to what I thought it was going to be, recovery wasn't bad at all (I feel blessed for that). Instant relief from what was happening beforehand. The only thing that wasn't fixed was some scapular winging I was dealing with (and still kind of am). That being said, I'm still noticing some neck tightness on my surgery side, and I think I have some left over scar tissue there.

I know scar tissue is "normal", but does anyone have any tips or thoughts on internal scar tissue 1 year post op? Did a ton of massage, some graston, etc. to break things down early on, but haven't done a lot since. Reading can be a dangerous rabbit hole, but I've seen a lot of people talking about scarring near the brachial plexus region post-op. Would love to break that up and make some more progress on fixing my winging problem (it's getting better). Anything I can do?
President_Taft is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote