View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 08:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Praying for a speedy recovery for your gf! As the wife of a TBI hubby, I thought I'd chime in . . .

Mark is right - you do sound very, very detail oriented. I'd like to say that CAN work in your gf's favor. My husband is almost 3 years into this journey and we have tried many different medicines to increase his quality of life. My primary role has been to take VERY careful, detailed notes regarding his response to new medicines and dosages. Thru my observations and arguing with doctors when need be, we are finally at a combination of meds that has allowed him to regain some quality of life back.

So, my advice? Don't drive her or yourself crazy with details! Bite your tongue if you find yourself asking 20 times a day "how are you" (been there, done that). But do pay special attention to her reactions to the meds she is given. As I'm sure you have gathered -- everyone with TBI takes a wide variety of meds to manage their symptoms. If her condition persist, continue to do research (& take notes while doing so) and record different meds and dosages, etc. It was very, very helpful to us and trust it will be for you too.

Wife of 54 year old hubby who sustained TBI January 2011 downhill skiing.

Hubby is: Machinist, off work since injury. 70% of the time feels really, really rotten (better! Used to be 99% of the time) 30% of time he just feels bad but can push thru to do something.

Current Symptoms: Light & noise sensitivity, brain fog (lessened by Zoloft), extreme fatigue, balance issues (walks with cane), cognitive problems (slowed & more difficult thinking), overwhelmed easily. Difficulty falling asleep but then could stay asleep for 12 hours or more
(Uses CPAP machine while sleeping due to apnea NOT caused by TBI)

All symptoms increased by stress, fatigue & crowds. Jostling movements (walking briskly, bumpy rides) are VERY bad & cause severe set-back

Seems to help: Taking 150mg Zoloft at night for symptom control, especially helps with "brain flips / swishing when walking" and brain fog (helped). 300 mg Gabapentin (100 3xdaily) for headaches (works pretty well. Minor headaches are eased by combined Acetaminophen & aspirin). Xanax for anxiety, but also seems to slow the overstimulation feeling when out-and-about. Feels best while lying down (vertical position seems to bring on symptoms)

Misc: Clear EEG, clear MRI'S (2 of them). No cut, bump or bruise after accident - all damage internal
Oddly enough, he's not bothered at ALL by tv
Praise the Lord he has NO difficulty driving.
AllAmericanAmy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote