View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide-O View Post
For my understanding, is a PCP what would be called a GP in the UK, or the "home doc/family doc" over here?
Pretty much, yes.

Quote:
Primary care physician

A primary care physician, or PCP, is a physician who provides both the first contact for a person with an undiagnosed health concern as well as continuing care of varied medical conditions, not limited by cause, organ system, or diagnosis. This term is primarily used in the United States, although this is a recent occurrence. In years' past in the US and in Britain (and many other English-speaking countries), the equivalent term was/is “general practitioner”.
Quote:
Almost every time when I read how patients are treated I get angry in their place. So I know it's probably even worse having to read "well, you should take charge yourself". We are not trained for doing so!
There are many (too many, IMO) things we are not trained for that we (probably?) should be. One of the problems with living in an advanced/technical age is that there is so much more to learn/know than there was 500/200/100, even 50 years ago, and not only will it continue to increase—the rate is accelerating.

On top of that, there is a worldwide shortage of doctors in every area of medicine. Change can be hard; I know it is for me—always has been. Hard to accept my body & mind aren't what they were (supposed to be) and hard to learn all the stuff I have to learn, when there isn't enough time to learn all the new stuff I want to/would rather learn.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Wide-O (11-05-2013)