View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 02:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Abby it sure is a grave situation

Pamiezz - I did find it very diff to get the MG dx. My current neuro is fabulous thou. But i did have to see several dr before it was identified.

I was dx w Graves back in 1996 and treated at MGH in Boston. My TSH levels were crazy and I was wasting away in terms of weight. Also had the classic heart palp and, as mentioned, some serious bug eyes. I fought them on obliterating my thyroid (and after 2 years of tapazol my levels went from crazy to normal -- still at v far end of normal but normal). The drs still say they have never seen a Graves reversal prior to my case but it indeed happened to me (which is how I stay positive/hopeful ab MG....anything is poss!). My poor 10 year old niece is now dealing w Graves thou.

MG has had a far greater effect on my life thou (obv for the worse). For me it all started with a very serious cdiff colon infection - everything went way down hill after that....

Let me know if you have other questions. I know the process can be v diff both emotionally as well as physically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellatum View Post
It's common for MGers to also have an autoimmune thyroid disease (Graves, Hashimotos).

I came down with Graves 18 years ago, after the birth of my daughter. I have been on and off methimazole and PTU ever since, with long periods between flare-ups. I never had any eye involvement.

I had my first noticeable MG symptoms a few months after a flare-up of the Graves, which I treated with methimazole. There seems to be some connection between methimazole and myasthenia gravis flare-ups. Google the two together for a few studies.

Meanwhile, I enjoy telling people that I have Graves disease and myasthenia gravis--it all sounds so, well, grave.

Abby
Needananswer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizzymum42 (11-07-2013), Pamiezz (11-06-2013)