View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 06:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoestringlover View Post
I had this a little before transaxillary rib resections (bilateral), and definitely. bad. after. I referred to it as the knitting needle in my shoulder blade pain. PT helps. Anything to relax those muscles helps. The things that have worked best for that area: manual adjustments, and direct, LIGHT, massage of that area. I find as my tension increases, so does that pain.

Does anyone know why this increases after surgery? I have been told it is the position your arm is in during the operation.

Shoestringlover,

The long thoracic nerve can be damaged and cause that pain, usually gets better with therapy. And yes, I read that arm positioning can affect that.
Wonder if that is more prevalent with "trans" approach?

Mine (clavicular approach) improved with therapy, however, I had other nerve damage....including phrenic nerve & horner's syndrome that has not totally resolved (almost 3 years postop). I have been told that there is likely alot of scar tissue.

The most recent nerve pain (Body wide) I have had as explained by my PCP is likely that the nerves are oversensitive (now possibly Fibromyalgia). So I believe that it is possible that pain can increase after surgery, especially if there are complications as I had.

chloecasey
chloecasey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote