View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 07:33 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
If you have already had chickenpox, I would think your risk would be minimal.

However, the strain of chickenpox used in the vaccine is not necessarily the strain most people have been exposed to.

This is why the vaccine only works about in 50% who receive it.
So if you had chickenpox in the past, your chances of contracting a new strain do exist with the current vaccine, it is just difficult to predict anything with a vaccine like this with a poor tract record.
I take cellcept, prednisone and IVIG every 2 weeks. I was told by my PCP to get the shingles vaccine as the consequences of not getting it were far worse than getting shingles. My husband got it first so that I would be exposed in a minimal way. 2 weeks later I got it at the end of an IVIG cycle per my neuro's instructions. I had no adverse reaction at all and neuro said it's possible I wouldn't self-produce a lot of antibodies to the virus due to the immunosuppression. I did have chickenpox as a child. I think this is a very tricky thing to predict what is going to happen. I felt like I took a deck of cards, threw them in the air and watched them fall as far as side effects go and if the vaccine would be effective.
robocar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cait24 (11-07-2013)