View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 12:00 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwr37 View Post
A/TOS and V/TOS bilaterally. We were told we could wait indefinitely as long as the arms stay down by my child's side. There was no blood restriction in that position, but it makes life near impossible to live life to the fullest. We were told though that if a blood clot does happen or vascular damage is done, it would be a lifetime of medical follow-up. So, we weren't rushed into a decision because of the diagnosis. We were just told that caution had to be take with movement. Of course, my child woke up every morning with the arms over the head.

Does your teen have restriction in all positions?
I am getting a second opinion as soon as I can find a suitable doc in my area for that. I do feel rushed by the first, diagnosing doc. That is one of the things I want a second opinion about, the rush or not. Restrictions are keep arms down, no lifting or carrying weight like heavy books for school, watch for signs of clot. But kids have the understandable invincibility syndrome and I catch him laying on the sofa with an arm thrown across his head, sleeping overhead, he has to raise them for daily stuff like shampooing hair.

Was your child symptomatic? Did yours have surgery? Mine has been symptomatic for a year and the pain is limiting even regular activity. His venous involvement is what concerns the doc because his body has created a workaround with other veins that can't handle the load, which is what is causing the symptoms, pain, as best as I am understanding it. The dr says the artery is tougher and not of immediate pressing concern.
curby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote