View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 10:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Frown Drugs I've tried that haven't worked...

Hello everyone. I am a 28 year old female struggling with right sided back/leg pain. The buttock/hip/thigh area is the most painful. I had a posterior L5/S1 fusion due to spondolysthesis, slipped disc, and 2 fractures on my L5 vertebrae due to a gymnastics injury. I had malunion after the surgery so they had to go back in and do a anterior L5/S1 fusion. That time I fused. It has now been 2 years and 4 months since that surgery. Starting back in February I became physically active again and noticed that I started to get pain radiating from my low back down my right leg. (I was not physically active prior or working because the doctor told me that since I did not fuse the first time and I was very active that this time I should take it easy until I fused) Since then I have had an MRI of back and hip, CT scan, x-rays of my back and hip, CT myelogram, and an EMG. Everything looked great! I am fused. There is no nerve impingement. There is nothing wrong with my hip. Flexion and extension xrays are normal.
So since then I have been to almost a dozen doctors. Orthopedic doctors, neurosurgeons, peripheral nerve surgeon, etc. I have been from Baltimore to Philadelphia. No one has an answer for me.

I have tried:
Neurontin 900mg three times a day
Ibuprofen 800mg three times a day
Naproxen sodium
Ultram (Tramadol) 50mg three times a day
Percocet 7.5mg three times a day
Zonegran 200mg daily

Does anyone have any suggestions for other medications or dosages that I could try??

I have had several pain injections at levels L4 and L5 which were unsuccessful.

Now they are talking about doing a nerve stimulator trial. From what I have researched I am not too excited about it and I don't know if it is the right option for me. Any thoughts?

I am really depressed and anxious. I see someone for my depression and anxiety, but I feel like that only does so much. I don't work because I can't. I used to have a wonderful career and now all I can do is sit around and barely go to the store to get the essentials.

I'm tired of being in pain and I'm tired of being sad. Please help.

CiCi
cicibell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote