View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 10:33 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicibell View Post
I was previously on Neurontin and felt that it helped for a while and over time the effects slowly went away so my dose was increased and increased until I got to 900mg 3 times a day. It got to the point where it wasn't working anymore. Then I was on nortyptiline for migraines, but it didn't help. Do you think it is worth it for me to try the 2 in combo?? Or is it a waste of time and money?

CiCi
Greetings, CiCi. Here's a link to the summary of a study recommending the combination: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19796802
The difference between the combo and each drug separately isn't huge, but the researchers regard it as substantial. (And it's worked well for me.) But I haven't been able to find anything about the staging of the two--for instance, does it make a difference which one you start on? And if you're on a high dose of gabapentin (aka neurontin), and you add nortriptyline, can you then cut back on the gabapentin? I hope you can get good advice from a doctor you trust--though that's a struggle in itself for most of us.

Both drugs are available as generics, and on my insurance plan, they're pretty cheap. But I'm lucky to have a good insurance plan through my employer.

Lynn
ChaucerFan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote