View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Question Switching from NeuPro to Requip XL

I've been on NeuPro 8mg for almost a year with fantastic success. However, in spite of following the recommendations for rotating application sites, my skin is revolting and it's becoming more difficult to tolerate the patches strictly from a dermatological perspective.

I spoke with my neurologist (MDS) and they recommended I try extended release ropinerole at the equivalent dose of 8mg, no tapering down of NeuPro or ramping up of ropinerole needed - just take off the patch and pop a pill (the half life of rotigotine is about 5 hours).

I have attempted this switch 4 different times now, each resulting in severe insomnia and restlessness to the point that I couldn't tolerate the switch for more than 2 (sleepless) days. I put a NeuPro patch on and was back to normal (and fast asleep) within 4 to 6 hours. I never experienced any nausea or adverse events other than total sleeplessness and moderate restlessness (perhaps two sides of the same coin). In one attempt I even waited 12 hours after taking off the patch before taking the ropinerole XL - no difference.

Anybody have any experience switching from NeuPro to ropinerole (Requip), good or bad, that you'd like to share?
DRHiggins is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote