View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 01:34 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookester View Post
It is different in every state and county and then it also depends on age I am only 45 and we don't have children living at home. There weren't any plans with a zero deductible .. and I need a PPO to keep my current doctors. My plan from work is incredible so I doubt I would find that anywhere but something close.. without huge out of pocket charges. After doing the math and calling my doctors for amounts of cash payments it would be cheaper to pay cash and add catastrophic insurance just in case cancer raises its ugly head again.
Hi,

Catastrophic Health plans are more expensive than the Bronze plans because they are not eligible for tax subsidies. .
When the site starts working, check on the Bronze plans.
https://www.healthcare.gov/can-i-buy...strophic-plan/

Quote:
Yet bronze plans start at $151. And the differences among insurers can make the range even narrower.
Kaiser Permanente, for example, lists a catastrophic plan at $144 but has a bronze plan available for just $7 more.
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield has a catastrophic plan for $180 and a bronze plan for $210.

That's before considering that single people earning less than $45,460 can qualify for tax subsidies to offset or even pay for most of the cost of a bronze plan.
Catastrophic plans, by contrast, are ineligible for subsidies. It's one of the rules of Obamacare.
BTW, COBRA is a law from 1984 -- signed by Pres President Ronald Reagan

The gov web site is supposed to be in better shape by the end of the November. Wait until the site has clear information about whether you are eligible for a tax credit and how much.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/The-Premium-Tax-Credit

Quote:
Getting the Credit
To qualify for the credit, you must get insurance through the Marketplace.
During enrollment through the Marketplace, using information you provide about your projected income and family composition for 2014, the Marketplace will estimate the amount of the Premium Tax Credit you will be able to claim for the 2014 tax year that you will file in 2015.
You will then decide whether you want to have all, some or none of your estimated credit paid in advance directly to your insurance company
Quote:
Claiming the Credit on Your Federal Tax Return
For any tax year, if you receive advance credit payments in any amount or if you plan to claim the premium tax credit, you must file a federal income tax return for that year.

M

Last edited by Mari; 11-10-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Mari is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote