View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 10:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Hi,

Catastrophic Health plans are more expensive than the Bronze plans because they are not eligible for tax subsidies. .
When the site starts working, check on the Bronze plans.
https://www.healthcare.gov/can-i-buy...strophic-plan/

BTW, COBRA is a law from 1984 -- signed by Pres President Ronald Reagan

The gov web site is supposed to be in better shape by the end of the November. Wait until the site has clear information about whether you are eligible for a tax credit and how much.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/The-Premium-Tax-Credit

M
Hello Mari and thank you.

Yes, I understand that catastophic plans don't allow for subsidies that wasn't what my primary concern was. My main concern was being able to keep my team of doctors and going through the market place that isn't an option for me. Also, with the bronze, gold etc., even though the monthly premium amount may seem low there is still a high deductible and a minimum of 35% coinsurance amount so doing the math only by the monthly premium doesn't calculate the entire cost. Even on these plans if I can't keep my doctors then it does me no good, so that is why I would consider the catastrophic plan through a non-exchange insurer unless things change over the next few months. ** the low rates of $141-150 are not what is being quoted in Washington state, at least in my county, with a household of 2 (only one seeking coverage).

Regarding COBRA - I understand what COBRA is and am thankful everyday for this plan!

I will continue to look at what is being offered through the exchanges. Again the subsidies or tax credits aren't the issue (anyone who files taxes can deduct medical expenses) my concern is for my health and my ability to continue to see the physicians that have been caring for me.

.. would you sign up for a free/low cost cell phone plan if the service provided only gave you 1 bar, 100 miles away, with a 1 mile radius and even then it was choppy?
zookester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote