View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 10:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Examples

Be careful when choosing plans (this text was copied directly from the Kaiser Subsidy Calculator from the link provided above):

For most people, the Bronze plan represents the minimum level of coverage required under health reform. Although you would pay less in premiums by enrolling in a Bronze plan, you will face higher out-of-pocket costs than if you enrolled in a Silver plan.

A Silver plan has an actuarial value of 70%. This means that for all enrollees in a typical population, the plan will pay for 70% of expenses in total for covered benefits, with enrollees responsible for the rest. If you choose to enroll in a Bronze plan, the actuarial value will be 60%, meaning your out-of-pocket costs when you use services will likely be higher. Regardless of which level of coverage you choose, deductibles and copayments will vary from plan to plan, and out-of-pocket costs will depend on your health care expenses. Preventive services will be covered with no cost sharing required.

The premium amounts above are based on a Silver plan. You could purchase other levels of coverage, such as a Gold plan (which would be more comprehensive) or a Bronze plan (which would be less comprehensive).

.. End quoted text .. LinkOut: http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-c...hild-tobacco=0

In the example above my premiums given on the Silver plan came out to be $307.00/month + 30% + deductible + co-pays etc., this adds up to over 12K year and still doesn't cover Vision, Dental or my current doctors. To me that math doesn't make sense. A cheaper plan (like the Bronze) would still cost 40% after the insurance pays its portion and the premiums weren't much less than that of the silver plan. None of them offered vision or dental and looking at the preferred drug list I can only assume my medications will be switches as well if I were to choose one of these plans.

It just doesn't make sense on how the premiums are calculated for people living in what some would call a higher income state/county, not to mention 2 person homes. Just because I live in a higher income state doesn't mean I am one of the higher earners and I whether or not we have children living at home shouldn't matter.. we shouldn't pay more just because we don't. That is just my opinion and it isn't about politics it is merely about he plans being offered so far.
zookester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote