View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball6 View Post
Greetings. I am new. My mom is 89. and she had a fall in July, 2013. Up to then she was driving, living alone, no problem before that. After a week was having right arm weakness and inability to say some words. On August 7 she had a burr hole surgery to get rid of spinal fluid. She has recovered quite well (walking slow but ok, getting around the house ok, eating ok,) but has still some word hesitancy and dropping words and some thoughts and some memory, but not all the time. Worse when tired. Right after the surgery, a CT showed no fluid. ,,,but on Sept 20 it showed "hygroma."
They did a CT scan on Oct 4 and it said:
"There is stable prominance of cerebrospinal fluid space at the left frontal and parietal region again measuring 15mm in thickness. This is consistant with hygroma. The left sulci particularly at the vertex are smaller than on the right and this may represent some mass effect from the hygroma. No significant midline shift is seen."
An MRI of October 23 said:
"Stable moderate left frontal subacute to chronic subdural hematoma measuring 15 mm in maximum width with mild sulcal effacement in the left frontal lobe." I need support and advice from the group. I am an only child and have no other relatives. I want to help so bad. Is this something that HAS to be operated on again??? Mom is 89 and Im scared. Can this be watched to see if there is resorbtion of the fluid??? or at least not any worse?? I fear if there is future surgery.
How can it be followed??? Our neurosurgeon says watch and MRI it periodically. I just need a person to talk to.
Hi. Welcome. So sorry for what you are dealing with. Your mom is so lucky to have you. Just wanted to say hi and welcome.

All the best. Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote