View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 11:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had pec minor surgery with Dr. Sanders in 2008 ---- my first surgery. It did nothing. It is an easy surgery and recovery is easy. I had a final the next week and was able to take it.
The problem with TOS is that they need to fix the reason you got it in the first place. For people with extra ribs or DVT's, they fix those and the people can get a lot better ---- they fixed the problem causing the TOS. For other people with screwed up shoulders, clavicles that are sunken down and unstable, hypertrophied subclavian muscles, etc...the pec minor surgery or the rib/scalene removal does not fix the problem. Don't get me wrong --- it does help, but mostly because of the neurolysis and decompression of the inflamed/lesioned nerve that is hypersensitive and chronically irritated as a result. For these people, their TOS can come back if they continue with their old ways and don't learn how to adapt and move their bodies in new ways. For example, the structural problems of the shoulder, clavicle, scapula, etc. will still cause nerve stretch problems with certain movements. Over time, these movements can stretch the nerve and irritate the BP enough that it gets irritated/inflamed again and TOS is back. There are so many ways TOS can be caused and hopefully surgery addresses the cause.

Why TOS is so tricky: the medical community doesn't really understand all the variations of TOS, and its causes. Also, the diagnostics just aren't there yet --- making TOS a bit of an exploratory surgery.

Gotta go. Sorry for the lengthy post. I wish everyone success with their TOS journey.
nukenurse is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
booklover (12-28-2014), chroma (11-20-2013), Coop42 (11-24-2013), cyclist (06-27-2014), Emilina (11-11-2013), jkl626 (11-29-2013), mspennyloafer (11-24-2013)