View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 11:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrae View Post
Hey Tessa,

There is a reason. Until last month I haven’t had proper insurance or medical care since 2009, when we lost nearly everything. Our business took a really hard hit. With the economy tanking no one would spend money on advertising, or in the consumer realm they were cutting out the expense of videography. My premiums were nearly $1k p/month and we just couldn’t do it anymore. For a long time I went without care, and then my symptoms got so bad that I went on state assisted healthcare, which was a joke. I have been limping along until my husband landed an excellent job last month and I now have a terrific plan. I am so grateful, and at not a moment too soon.

Since last month, I have been trying to build up a team of doctors to help me. So far I have seen my OBGYN, my PCP, and on Wednesday I will see my old pain doc. I have finally gotten a great referral for a Neurologist, but my appt isn’t until January 20 something.

I have tramadol and take that as needed, but not daily. I am on the max dose of Gabapentin daily, Soma daily and Voltaren gel; I love the stuff and almost wish I could bathe in it, and I use MMJ daily. I know there is a LOT of controversy about MMJ but it works for me most of the time. I honestly believe it keeps me from needing tons of pain meds. HOWEVER, when my symptoms flare it’s a horrible time for me from head to toe.

I agree that I need better pain management and I am hoping that some of that will start next Wednesday. I hate Percocet, and Roxicodone for reasons of massive headaches and nausea. If I do take them, I MUST take something like Zofran with it, and I have also added Ibu and rotate with Tylenol. I wish I could say that they keep me from the headache, but they don’t. Not at all.

My pain level has definitely lowered today as my muscles settle down from being over worked a couple of days ago. It’s amazing… like tonight I was “tossing laundry” (lol) and my arms get weak just folding a load of clothes. Ridiculous.

Anywho, thanks for the good advice Tessa! I really appreciate it!
Oh Gosh.. I can so relate!! I'm so glad your husband has come out on top again and can provide you with much needed insurance; what a blessing!

BTW.. I've discussed MMJ with my provider and they are okay with me using it but, for whatever reason don't themselves write the scripts for it. If things get much worse, I'm going to give it a shot!

If I may suggest a couple of things that make a little dent in my pain that might also help you based on what I've read recently from you. Medicated compound cream is even better than volteran gel.. Brown's Pharmacy makes one with Ketamine and Baclophen (sp?) which I use like a bath on all limbs 3xper day. Butrans is the patch I am on.. I started at 5mcg/hour but once my arms became symptomatic we have increased the dosage to 10mcg/hr but, I only add the second patch when I can't get pain under control by other means. The patch gave me the same headache as other pain meds for about 2 days, nausea/vomiting lasted almost a week and the fogginess about the same. By the second week I didn't even notice I was on 24 hour med control except that my level 10 pain was much less frequent and my moods (directly related to pain levels) was markedly improved. Physically I was able to do more, sleep also improved from waking nearly every hour to sleeping for 2-3 without waking. Sadly as symptoms spread sleep isn't as good anymore The other thing I can't live without is the lidoderm patches.. without them intimacy would be even more difficult. lol.. they aren't sexy but they sure help with sensitivity for long enough to make it enjoyable sorry if that was TMI.

Oh the muscle aches.. my legs feel like I ran a marathon every single day ugh! I feel for you.. wishn' for a better tomorrow for all!

Tessa
zookester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Vrae (11-11-2013)