View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Hi Elaine,

There's an oral neurological condition called Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS). I'm not suggesting you have it, but there appear to be some similarities. It's been discussed here.

Burning mouth Syndrome

My point is that treatments for it are similar to those for PN—one being R-Lipoic Acid (RLA, a.k.a. thioctic acid, et al) which is also discussed here often.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/se...Lipoic%22+Acid

I can't say that it will work for you, but it's inexpensive, available without prescription, has excellent results with BMS, and I think it would be worth trying.

Burning mouth syndrome (BMS): double blind controlled study of alpha-lipoic acid (thioctic acid) therapy.
Quote:
RESULTS AND CONCLUSION:

Following treatment with alpha-lipoic acid, there was a significant symptomatic improvement, compared with placebo, with the majority showing at least some improvement after 2 months, thus supporting the hypothesis that burning mouth syndrome is a neuropathy. This improvement was maintained in over 70% of patients at the 1 year follow-up.
Burning mouth syndrome (BMS): controlled open trial of the efficacy of alpha-lipoic acid (thioctic acid) on symptomatology.
Quote:
RESULTS:

Significant improvements were shown in the symptomatology of BMS in up to two-thirds of patients with BMS receiving alpha-lipoic acid, in about 15% of those using placebo and also in up to two-thirds of those who, having tried placebo, were switched to ALA.
Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hopeful (11-11-2013)