Thread: Driving....
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 03:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Nancy, over the last few years I have had a problem driving and keeping my license. At one point it was taken away. That feeling was awful. When I was volunteering to not drive was much different than being told 'you cannot drive.' In order to get my license back I had to go through a program at one of the local hospitals. There they take drivers (usually the elderly) out for special testing. They assess the driver's ability to drive with medical history included. Medications are most certainly a concern as to their affects on the driver. They also make recommendations as to possible equipment that can be installed on a car to help the driver drive. In my case the RN approved me to drive with the stipulation that I have a nob installed on the steering wheel (because my left arm was weak). She also had me drive with a hand operated brake mechanism (my legs and feet are weak and feet numb). She provided information for community programs that help with the cost of installation of the equipment. She said that there are many disabled people that drive, including amputees, with the proper equipment.

The medication, that is the rub.

I had to take the approval to my doctor. We had a discussion again about my driving ability and medications. She finally approved it with the stipulation that I would not drive when on heavy medications or in a terrible pain flare. I had to have my wits about me. I then had to go to the DOV where I took both a written and driving test. I past. Phew! So I have my license but I still don't drive. My husband takes me everywhere for the most part. I have used the ENOA van to take me for aquatic therapy in the past.

I have my license. It is important to me. I hope you can work out your issues with getting around to your various medical and therapy appointments. I understand about your concerns for your husband and the interruptions of his work. My husband does the same. Perhaps there is a driving program at one of your local hospitals. For me it was free, and I believe worth it.

I am hoping for the best for you. It does take a bit of work, but please stick with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanc View Post
Hi Tessa!

Thanks so much for checking on me. My appointment was ok, maybe a little helpful. I told her again about the ride situation and that my husband took 1/2 day off again. She said "if there's a will, there's a way." Really?? Wanting to be there will not magically get me there. I could tell that my husband was a little frustrated about the appt since it took a while longer. He didn't seem mad, just concerned about getting to work when he said he would. She didn't have anyone scheduled right after me so she extended my 30 minute appt to a little more than an hour (I am not complaining about that).

I sent her a brochure about RSD/CRPS and she also pulled up info online to read before this appointment. I appreciate her efforts to learn more about it before working on me a lot. I see that she still has some learning to do

I am still working on the ride situation....will keep you posted!
Nanc
- Injury 2004 L5S1; 2nd metatarsal left foot fracture; left hip fracture
Djhasty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brambledog (11-11-2013), Nanc (11-11-2013)