View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default Bone graft after tooth extraction?

I got tooth #30 extracted on Oct 7 because of an infected root canal a dentist I had failed to diagnose but that is another story. I had to have the tooth removed and at 32 I do not want my face to dip as I read on here that is what happens after extraction. My oral surgeon said that because it was a difficult tooth to extract (it broke off at the gumline when I was out of the country) that it will take longer to heal. Well I went back in 2 weeks ago and the area was still swollen, I was clenching and grinding my teeth when I woke up and the area of the tooth extraction looked horrible and sunken in so he said to wait until the first week of December. Also, when I had the infected root canal a lymph node swelled up under my jaw where the root canal was but I see no decrease in size since I had the tooth removed.

My concern is how much longer should I wait if I want a bone graft done without sacrificing face shape or bone structure? I am very worried about my face looking lopsided if I don't do the bone graft. I don't necessarily want an implant right away because I plan to get braces since my upper teeth are slightly crooked.
sweetbee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote