View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Why Surgery? Please Help!

I posted about a month ago...

Just to briefly recap... I First started out two years ago with a torn labrum, after my 4th pt visit my right arm became swollen and bright red. I found out I had a 6" long (yes thats inches) blood clot in my right subclavian vein. At the time my SC joint was unstable.

I then went to USC and Saw the head of Vascular and Kerlan Jobe for my ortho issues . The conclusion was that my ortho doc had to stabilize my SC joint to help prevent further damage to my vein. I had surgery last Nov. , I went back to work full time in August and now pain is worse than ever.

I check in with my ortho doc once a month, he sent me back to vascular at USC. At the end of this month I will be getting a venogram and then making the decision to get surgery or not.

The Vascular Doc wants to go in through the top of the clavicle and do the First rib resection and scalenectomy. He also spoke about possibly having to preform a bypass since I still have a blood clot in my subclavian.

I guess I am just not sure what to do, He said " this will not cure you". "It may help with pain" "your case is so rare that I cannot possibly predict if it will help"

After the venogram result come in I will be going up to UCSF for a second opinion.

I just don't know what decision is the right one. I want to be able to live a happy life and hold my (future) babies!

I am so glad I found this forum, seems like one of the only things that helps me .
whitwithPSS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote