View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

When I was initially diagnosed with RSD, I had the same block as you. My PM doctor told me that it would end all of my pain. It sounded great and I was so excited to have it. I was only 12 at that time so was put under general anaesthetic. When the anaesthetic wore off I woke up and was unable to walk. All of my co-ordination had gone and when I tried walking my leg would kick out in front of me and i'd fall to the ground. I spent over a year in a wheelchair, relying totally on my parents. It took a lot of physio (PT) to get me to learn how to re-walk again.

A few years ago I also developed a ingrown toenail on my RSD limb. It was really infected so I had to have it removed. The needle again caused a bad reaction and I developed myoclonic spasms from it. From that point, all my doctors said that I should never have any operations on my RSD limbs, unless it was absolutely needed.

My advice would be NOT to go through with the block. Since the complications happened to me, I have spoke to so many doctors who have said nerve blocks in RSD limbs is an absolute 'NO NO' as it often causes more damage than enough... I only wish I knew that back then.

Have you looked into an epidural? If you don't have RSD in your back that may be something to look into. I had one a few years ago with Ketamine in it and it really decreased my pain. It didn't last long (only about 6 hours) but it was worth it and doctors often look into the surgical pain pumps for long term effects if it works.

Take care and I hope things work out for you.

Alison
Brambledog (11-13-2013), moosey2me (11-14-2013), stief303 (11-13-2013)