View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stief303 View Post
I've had two bier blocks now, and I'm sheduled for another one next friday. Both times they've injected medications into my foot, where I have the CRPS.

Can anyone give their opinions on the safety of this? I'm reading but I can't find much info on it. But some sources tell me it isn't safe to inject a needle into a CRPS area. And that it can make things worse and cause spreads. I've also read that just a needle can cause CRPS in the first place...
Injections in the area where you have RSD/CRPS should never be done. It's dangerous.

Typically...for injuries in the lower part of the body they do injections in the back. Lumbar sympathetic block is the kind I had initially (RSD started in my left ankle). For hands/arms they typically do the injection in the neck.

It's always important to remember that ANY injections, blood draws, etc can cause the RSD/CRPS to spread. Done correctly the risk is reduced but still there. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have the treatments as they are going to be your best shot at remission...but you need to go in with eyes open and know the risks. ANY trauma can cause spread.

Spread from injections used to treat RSD/CRPS is rare but does happen. Unfortunately I know from experience that it can happen. I now have RSD in my back, both arms and hands, and my neck after spread from my last LSB.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
moosey2me (11-13-2013), RSD ME (11-13-2013), stief303 (11-13-2013)