View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 11:22 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I'll add here for other readers, Dr. Jay Cohen MD's link.

He has a book explaining how doses of statins are way too high in his opinion, and many people respond to much smaller ones, with less risk.

http://www.jaycohenmd.com/otherdrugs.html#lipitor
This is the information I shared with en bloc a while back while she was considering statin therapy.

I read his book a while back and gave it to my doctor so I don't have it anymore. But it was interesting and worthwhile.

Also people on statins really have to use CoQ-10 because the statins block the enzyme that makes this vital nutrient for ourselves. Without it the heart and muscles suffer. One study found that after 5 yrs of statin treatment about 1/2 of the CoQ-10 capability was lost.

There are quality forms of CoQ-10 now, that are more soluble and useful in smaller doses. Qunol is one (at WalMart and Costco) and another called Q-gel. One can get by with about 100mg a day of this new type. Whereas the oil type capsules would need at least 300mg a day.
...and I am proof that a smaller dose works. I take 1/4 of the original recommended dose and my levels are staying good and I appear to be doing fine at this dose. I also take the Qunol CoQ10...even though my dose is small.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
glenntaj (11-14-2013), mrsD (11-13-2013)