View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 12:38 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

katie,

Go to facebook and search Treasure Valley Brain Injury Support Group and ask Greg to approve you for membership. Or, ask to see him at Idaho Elks. He is a Social Worker who oversees many patients.

Dr Greenwald was the same with me.

Vitamins and supplements can be a big help. B vitamins and folic acid help strengthen the myelin sheath and blood brain barrier. Omega oils help and meat protein provides the essential amino acids the brain needs. Pork is the best for Branched Chain Amino Acids.

Reducing cognitive and physical stress are very important. I believe Elks over treats in an effort to generate income. There is no need for all the therapy. He must be exhausted after a day.

There is a husband wife team of chiropractic neurologists who may be helpful. Check out http://www.meridianchiropracticclinic.com/

Keep him away from energy drinks and caffeine.

fyi, Neuro rehab is usually based on the need to wake up dormant pathways that became dormant during coma. Coma is the brain's reaction to its need to rest. During this rest/coma, pathways become stagnant. The rehab therapies are designed to push signals along these pathways to slowly reopen them. This is appropriate when there has been prolonged coma or even low Glascow scales.

Your son does not need neural pathways re-established. His need to rest and strengthen. The myelin sheath and glymph systems need to rebuild. They are slow to recover. Nutrition is helpful for both. The glymph system is the microscopic drainage system that carries the toxins away from the brain cells. It is a layer that lines the myelin (the nerve fiber insulation). These both are slow to heal in a stressful environment.

He needs just enough activity, both cognitive and physical to provide good blood perfusion through his brain. Not too much that can cause head aches. Many of us have used simple manual activities as that stimulation. Playing solitaire with real cards. NO smart phones or video games. Limited screen time. No cardio exercise.

He may also need some gentle physical therapy for his neck. There is a fantastic PT in Boise. Check out Jill Thompson at PT180 (Physical Therapy 180) on State Street. Tell her Mark and Yvonne referred you. Getting neck spams under control can help with brain issues.

If you want, email me from the drop down under my screen name. Left click and the box will drop down.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote