Old 11-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Question

Dear Glyde:

Welcome to NeuroTalk...

I'd like to do some sleuthing if you don't mind...I have some questions for you.

What kind of shampoo do you use? One with selenium in it, or zinc? Or Coal tar?

Do you know what antibiotics you used? Some cause nerve damage. (neuropathy).

Do these attacks follow bicycle days? Is your helmet tight, which may be compressing nerves in the scalp?

Have you had tests for B12 and Vit D? If not get your numbers, and see if either or both are low. Don't accept "normal" from your doctor because labs still report levels below 400pg/ml as normal and they are really LOW.

There are nutrients that help nerves heal. Major ones like Omega-3s are typically low in US diets, so increasing salmon, and other foods that provide these or taking fish oil (or Krill oil) will help with nerve repair. B12, folate and B6 are the other cofactors for this.

My first impression is that something you do or are exposed to is the culprit. Keeping a log/journal with food entries, activities and matching that up with when the pain attacks come may be helpful.

Your work/hobbies? Exposure to solvents, chemicals or pesticides?

Heat also can trigger nerves, esp when they are compressed or damaged. So don't stand for long periods under the hot shower.
Use luke warm water or keep your head and neck out of the stream of water if hot. Don't lie on a heating pad either. (this is tempting, but in the long run it flares nerve firing). A wise chiropractor educated me about heat and pain.

Have you tried ice compresses at the back of your neck? Do they help or make things worse?

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote