View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Paula,

The medication that was placed in the dry socket needs to be changed every day or two for about a week.... sometimes longer. It is not meant to stay in there for longer than a day or two without being changed. Often the medication falls out on it's own. Not retreating this often enough could be why the socket is not healing. So it's best to see your dentist for re treatment of the socket as I have mentioned.

The throat reaction that you had... I think it was from the antibiotic more so than the packing gel. ANYTIME you are taking any medications and you develop an odd feeling in your throat or the sensation that it is closing up.... immediately stop taking the medication and take an antihistamine like Benadryl. If it does not respond to the antihistamine or gets worse, go to the emergency room of the hospital.

If you do have an infection, you may need to be on another antibiotic. But stay clear of the entire family of antibiotics called Nitroimidazoles which is what metronidazole is in as you could have the same or similar reaction to any drugs in that family.

Regarding the root canal incisor.... yes, I am in agreement with removing that tooth ... and by an oral surgeon this time. Without a doubt the tooth is harboring infected nerve tissue.... all root canaled teeth do. You are not "mad" to remove this tooth.... your friends, although they mean well, are just not well informed about the health risks associated with root canaled teeth.

Please check back and give us an update!
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula K View Post
Hi Bryanna,
Thankyou so much for the advice you gave me a couple of weeks ago with regard to my infected root canal. You gave me the courage and the confidence to know that trying to do any thing other than remove that tooth was futile. I had the tooth removed 8 days ago.
As I live in the uk it would have taken months to get a referral to an oral surgeon via my GP,so I reluctantly allowed my dentist to pull it out because it was making me feel systemically ill.
Well to cut a very long story short, I am now sufferring from a dry socket and an infection in the bone.The bone above where the tooth was is swollen and painful ,the socket is also painful. The dentist packed the socket with a kind of gel and gave me an antibiotic called metronidazole.
Unfortunately after 3 days on this drug I began to have a severely sore throat and my throat felt like it was almost closing up. Initially I persevered with the drug because it helped my infection but the n I became hoarse and it became difficult to swallow. I stopped taking it and have an appointment with my GP this afternoon. I am not sure if this was a reaction to metronidazole or maybe an irritation from the medicine the dentist put in my tooth. I feel as though I can taste it sometimes going down the back of my throat.

Brianna , do you have any idea if the metronidazole or the gel in my tooth could have caused this sore irritated throat. Now I am off it my throat is much improved.
I was also wondering if you could give me advice about my remaining root canal tooth .It is a front incisor.I fell and knocked it out years ago. It has a crown and a root canal. It has been done for fifteen years.Of coursenow that I have been educated by all that I have read on here I feel it is just a matter of time before it goes the same way as the last two. I have decided to ask my GP to refer me to an OS to remove it . Would you agree with this ? I would then opt for a partial denture.I would really welcome your advice. My friends think I am mad but they are unaware of the dangers of a root canal.
Thankyou for reading this Bryanna, and thankyou fo r your patience and kindness in explaining the dangers of having root canals done.
Kind regards Paula K
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (11-15-2013)