View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 01:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Alkaloids in nightshades have effects on neuromuscular junction

It depends on what you are classifying as a nightshade. To a vegan there are thousands of plants they call nightshades. Most belong to an order called Polemoniales, and they are loaded with alkaloids. They could have hundreds of effects on the neuromuscular junction or none. Proceed with caution. In particular, anything with belladonna would not be good because the atropine is and anticolinergic and the opposite of Mestinon.

My experience with MG is that exotic dietary changes will flip your symptoms all over the place. I would abandon veganism for awhile unless your dad is under the care of a good physician who knows natural pharmacology, neuromuscular diseases, and molecular immunology. Let us know if you find one.

*admin edit* Note what they say here shows that some nightshade alkaloids act similarly to Mestinon, a cholinesterase inhibitor.

*admin edit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinas dad View Post
My father was diagnoses with myasthenia gravis in december 2011. He has been on prednisone and cellcept . He was recently hospitalized after having a nonproductive cough and they found he had a cardiac arrythmia (atrial fibrillation). He then received a 3 day treatment of IVIG. He seems stronger cough a little better unfortunately still in atrial fibrillation and has to go home on Coumadin.

Being the RN in the family everyone is looking to me for answers and suggestions. My father has been a vegan for 10 years. My question is about diet. Do nightshades harm or help symptoms? He could stand to loose some weight (he has lost since starting treament due to slowing down eating) even on prednisone. Thanks for any input!

Last edited by Chemar; 11-15-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Copy/paste from a site that has COPYRIGHT:ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
mg580 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote