View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 11:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges View Post
A few things you can do: Be kind to your body. Be aware of what you put into it...treat it like a baby, and nourish it as though you are bringing it back to life. Stay healthy: Remain active, but do NOT do ANYTHING that can cause an impact to the spine, or requires you to exert those muscles which affect your spine, as in heavy lifting. Walking, water aerobics, and gentle yoga were activities I engaged in after surgery. Avoid standing or sitting for prolonged periods. Lying flat on your back, sometimes with your knees pulled up to your chest with your hands around your ankles or knees, will help you remain flexible. When using stairs, do it slowly, one step at a time. If you smoke, stop. If you consume alcoholic beverages, use moderation. A glass of red wine helped calm me, as I wanted to get going again, since I had been "cured"! Don't expect that all will return to "normal" within a few weeks. Your body has undergone a major invasive procedure, and will require some to heal and adjust. PM me if you have further questions. And, welcome to the Club!
David

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I don't know how to PM you?? I am walking 3 to 4 times a day for about 20 minutes each time. I rest the remaining time. I want to get back to being active but I will not push it.

It''s so nice to hear from someone who has had years of success. I medically retired prior to my surgery...I hope down the road I can get back to work. I have been a detective for 15 years but I couldn't pass the physical any more. How do you feel after physical activity? Do you still get flare-ups? If so, what are your symptoms?

Thank you for your help.
Kim
hevnw8s is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote