View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 08:54 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Does taking medications delay progress of PD?

I am 62 years old. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in February 2013. The only symptoms I have currently are tremors of my left hand and some left arm stiffness. Thankfully, I am right hand dominant. I started Sinemet to confirm the diagnosis, but it did not stop or decrease the symptoms. I had a daTscan in October 2013 that confirmed that I do have Parkinson's Disease. My MDS prescribed Mirapex 0.25mg 1/2 tablet 4 times per day to start and continue the Sinemet 25/100mg 1 tablet 4 times per day. After a week of the Mirapex I could tell a little bit of difference in the tremor. However, the side effects are intolerable and include severe headache, racing thoughts, emotionally labile, crying, nausea. I work full time, and of course cannot have these issues. I am currently not taking any Mirapex and feel much better. Here is my question:
If I stop taking all medications, including the Sinemet, and just live with my PD symptoms until they really interfere with my daily function, will my PD progress more rapidly?
In other words, does taking PD drugs slow the progression of PD?
Thanks.
Jalto2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote