View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Paula,

Your dentist can prescribe any and all drugs, just like a physician. It is not uncommon for people to have allergies to meds and need a different prescription. Based on your past event with the penicillin, then you must stay away from that family of drugs as well. Your dentist needs to prescribe something else for you and asap.

There are many antibiotics, other than penicillins and nitroimidazoles, that are routinely prescribed for jaw bone infections and your dentist is very aware of them.

I agree that your GP probably did not want to get involved with the situation since it was a "dental" problem. However to be honest, that is just BS on his part because he needs to take better care of you than that. In other words he has to act responsibly with all of his patients irrelevant of the origin of their problem and he certainly did not do that with you by telling you to continue with a medication that was causing a negative and potentially life threatening reaction. He could have consulted with the dentist and they could have made a mutual decision on what medication to prescribe to you. I would check him off of my list if it were me.... as well as that dentist when this is all over with.

You have physical symptoms of an infection which could cause you to become very ill. Have you ever taken the antibiotic Clindamycin? This is often prescribed for jaw bone infections to people with penicillin allergies.

It is very important to take Clindaymcin with food and drink plenty of water throughout the day. It is also equally important to take a probiotic supplement to help prevent a severe intestinal upset. The probiotic should not be taken at the same time as the antibiotic. Take it one hour prior or two hours after the antibiotic up to 2 times a day. One of the best ones to take for this purpose is called Culturelle. Most drug stores carry it. It is best to start the probiotic right away and stay on it for at least 3 months if not indefinitely. This supplement also helps with your overall health as well and there are no adverse reactions or allergies associated with it.

So sorry you are dealing with not feeling well and such stupid doctors. It really is up to you to take a hold of this situation and get help. Your dentist is responsible to prescribe another medication for you.... so please don't take no for an answer.

Keep me posted .....
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula K View Post
Hi Bryanna,
Thankyou for your kindness and interest I really appreciate it . I agree I do feel I have an infection and it needs to be treated. I returned to my dentist on Thursday to tell him about my throat reaction and he said I must see my doctor to diagnose what was wrong with my throat so I went to see the G P the next day and his advice was , as I said finish the medicine, but I am just too scared to. I have had an anaphylactic reaction to pennicillen many years ago and with this reaction to metronidazole I am scared to continue it.
My problem now is my pain in the jaw and socket continues and I feel systemically ill,headache,dizziness, sweating and hot particularly at night . I was going to wait and see another G P on Monday but I feel I shouldn't neglect this until then .My feeling is that the GP was hesitant to interfere with the dentists prescription because he felt it must be best for my particular bug, and had been prescribed for that reason.
My choices now are th GP or emergency dentist. I got the feeling (could be wrong ) that my dentist is limited in the types of antibiotic he is allowed to prescribe . Is that correct Bryanna? It's just the impression he gave me when he spoke to me when I spoke to him.
Thanks once again for your input Bryanna.It is at least a relief to understand about how and why root canals really fail. Last time I had this experience with an abscessed root canal I was told "some people have this , it's just a bone infection " as though it were no more serious than a cold. Yeah right ! Anecdotally of all my friends I know who had a root canal ,all of them ended with infection and loss of the root canalled tooth.
I will let you know how things go Bryanna.
Kind regards Paula.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote