View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 12:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have to agree with soccertese on his advice. You're basically at the same point as I was a year ago. I am almost two year since dx and still have the same basic symptoms of left hand tremor and left arm stiffness. I elected to start Azilect immediately and still take 1mg/day. I doubt I am getting much symptom relief, although as I said, symptoms are relatively mild anyway. However, as I have had no side effects from the Azilect, I take it on the hope that it has some progression slowing impact. Besides the study soccertese mentioned, there are several others now ongoing. Also, there is some anecdotal evidence of progression modification with the drug. You'll probably find many on this board who disagree with my opinion regarding this, but that's going to be true with almost anything you will be trying over the years with PD. It's a very individually specific disease, as johnt stated. I think its worth a conversation with your doctor.

One thing you will not find much disagreement with on this board, or anywhere else, is what soccertese said about exercise. You should try to get a good routine going with different exercises at least 3 times a week, if not more. Bike, dance, Tai Chi, walking, running, stretching, etc. Whether or not it slows progression is still to be determined. However, it will definitely help you deal with the symptoms, IMHO.

Finally, you may not have seen any response to Sinemet if your main symptom is just tremor and mild arm stiffness. Sinemet doesn't always work well for tremor control.
Tupelo3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
soccertese (11-17-2013)