View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

dagma,

I have had shoulder problems. Most PT's push for range of motion. This only made things worse. I finally found a PT who explained how the muscles and tendons work. She taught me how to safely use my shoulder and what movements to avoid. I took the conservative approach and restricted my use. It took a year or more of discipline to allow my shoulder to heal. A very important issue was sleeping. I had to stop sleeping on my side, especially on the bad shoulder. I learned to sleep on my back with my hands on my belly. This allowed my shoulder to not be traumatized and the tendons stretched during sleep.

Learning the shoulder exercise where you pull your shoulders back and down as it you are trying to make the scapula (shoulder wings) touch together was helpful.

There are now orthopedists who specialize in shoulders. You may be able to get a referral to a good shoulder PT. There may even be an Athletic Trainer who can help you rehab your shoulder. It will take discipline on your part to get improvement.

I spent a year or more not raising my hand over my head nor throwing a baseball. It was worth the sacrifice.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dagma1 (11-17-2013)