Thread: Bryanna
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi BJ,
Ok...... you ended up with a dry socket!! They can be very painful and take several weeks to heal. Generally, this condition occurs because the local anesthetic used contained epinephrine which prevented the socket from bleeding adequately during the surgery and a healthy clot never formed or the clot became dislodge soon after the surgery was done. I recall you mentioning that you had a sneezing fit, but that was a few days after the surgery, wasn't it?

The stomach pains, nausea and lack of apetite that you are having could be from taking the antibiotic and/or the pain meds on an empty stomach or without adequate food intake. Even OTC pain meds can cause irritation and inflammaton in the digestive tract if they are taken on an empty stomach. I have a hunch that you have not been taking the probiotics regularly?? Did the dentist prescribe more antibiotics for you since he's been treating the dry socket?

I see this exact thing occur frequently in people who did not or were not able to prepare themselves for the oral surgery. It is hard to know how to prepare for something like this especially when you are in pain and just want it to be over with! I totally understand!

I cannot stress enough to people that oral surgery is "surgery" and it takes awhile for our body to heal from it. It also takes extra effort on our part to make ourselves better. It is very important to eat nutritiously during the healing phase or your body will have difficulty healing and coping with the stress of the surgery.

Perhaps you need to regroup and start fresh? I would suggest that you drink plenty of water every day; drink soothing herbal teas like chamomile, lemon balm, green tea; take your probiotics; eat small nutritious meals frequently throughout the day and see if this helps alleviate the stomach upset.

I feel badly that you have had such a negative experience. I hope that you realize you can still get a handle on this and get better!

Sending you a big healing hug!!
Bryanna
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote