Thread: Thymectomy
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 10:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayolagal View Post
Greetings all...

I was recently diagnosed (June 2013) with a positive antibody test and SFEMG. My first symptoms were a droopy eyelid and double-vision (May 2013). My current MG symptoms are ptosis, double-vision, face droop, some fatigue, and little swallowing issues. I'm taking daily Mestinon (60mg x 3) and Prednisone(10mg dose) and feeling fine for the most part.

I know that I am very fortunate to have been able to get diagnosed and tested this quickly. I've been seeing an Neurologist who has a specialty in MG and he fits me in to the MDA clinic for appointments. I just turned 41 and he recommends a Thymectomy (VATS method). My thymus is "normal" - no thymoma present in the CT but both he and the Thoracic Surgeon (who I saw today) recommend the procedure.

This is just moving so quickly and it is freaking me out They want to get me prepped for surgery with plasmapheresis or IVIg shortly after my family vacation in August.
So how did the surgery go? I'm similar in age as you and also have no thymoma. I just spent 7 days in the ICU and received 5 days of IVIG and am getting ready to start biweekly IVIG treatments this week.

I'm doing much better now with some occasional double vision, speaking and swallowing problems, and a droopy lid once in a while.

My neuro has me seeing another neuro next week for a second opinion who he believes will agree that a thymectomy is the best option long term with IVIG, mestinon, prednisone, and maybe cyclosporine in place of prednisone since I haven't responded to the prednisone as I ready for the surgery.
drpdhmr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote