Thread: Dbs
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 05:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Dbs

Hi everyone. I am being evaluated for the second time for DBS. First time was in 2006....Ok back then they said I was to "healthy". This time they are saying I am doing so poorly that they do not want to risk it... I say HUH? let me back up a bit. I was diagnosed in the summer of 2004 with idiopathic PD. I started on Stalevo50 and Requip. Did fairly well. Since then I have had a single and a double anterior cervical fusion. A lower lumbar fusion with Lamonictomy SP? I have DVT and several blood clots plus they found an aneurysm in my left leg. I have been diagnosed with, "Stiff Persons Syndrome", possible MSA or Multiple system Atrophy. Which is a nasty grownup version of PD. Usually the way they figure out that you actually have it is when they are doing the autopsy. I probably don't have that because they tell me you only live an average of 6-10 years after onset...I do not know I still have about six months to go before I hit ten. Oh yes. One of two major issues is the fact that I take warfarin for my blood clots and that may put a damper on any brain surgery since I need to be off the warfarin for 8-10 days before surgery. Second! I have to have an MRI done on my brain before the surgery as well. Guess what? Thanks to the neck and back surgeries. I can' get my head low enough to go in the machine. Possibly under anesthesia. PLEASE DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS. I would appreciate any feedback... I should have mentioned that I still do not have an essential tremor. I know that every ones PD is different but the Docs are saying is that this is what DBS is good for. My main issues are my gait, balance, and severe dyskinesia at times which the only one that DBS is supposed to help with is the dyskinesia. However I have talked with 6-8 DBS patients and every one of them has told me that their gait and balance was vastly improved. Any thoughts ? I am seeing a second doctor in a different hospital group for a second opinion. Sorry for the book.. thanks for your feedback Michael
bearman442 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote