View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Bearman: sounds like you live in the appalacions

Hi Bearman,

If You believe DBS is for you and had an young onset case, fight for it. Get a DAT scan to find out if your Brain is able to uptake Dopamine correctly. If the DAT scan is inconclusive, consider getting a DNA test of your Parkin gene. As high as 50% of young onset patients have one. With these go see your neurosurgeon with both results and ask him/her why you don't qualify. If you come armed to the teeth with knowledge you can make them work for you, rather than vice versa.

Neurologists determine which patients will qualify based on studies and the wisdom of clinical experience. They have a tendency to "group" patients into different slots. You have to pull them out of the slots and treat you as an individual. You must convince that your values include value of all human life and understanding of the possible consequences of surgery.

I was told that I scored too high on the comprehensive test to have PD. I was diagnosed as having delayed stress syndrome. This was after 15 years of diagnosis. I gathered more evidence of the defining factors of PD and was able to prove my PD diagnosis as much more likely.

The neurologist who changed my diagnosis was right on the money for methodology. He is not to be faulted. Only you know yourself. A second opinion is an excellent start. If needed, be prepared to respectively argue for how you believe your treatment would be best.

DAT tests should be approved by your insurance provider and my genetic test was also covered.

Get Him you Grizzly,
Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote