View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 09:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default need advice on root canal treatment tooth and extraction

June of this year i broke my upper left premolar. Didn't even realize that i broke my tooth until i actually bit on the broken piece while eating. I thought it was something that was in the food!! I went to the dentist. She suggested i either get the tooth extracted or get root canal treatment. I naively asked for the root canal but since then i've done some reading and decided that i didn't want a root canal, not when there's all the systemic consequences that come with it. So i went back to the dentist, asked for an extraction. She suggested that i remove 2 upper promolars and 2 bottom wisdom tooth (since the wisdom teeth were impacted and she says i might have problems later on in life with those two) and then get braces. I guess i got overwhelmed with the choice i had to make, i didn't really want to have 3 really healthy teeth extracted just because sometime in the future it may or may not cause be problems. I ended up not going back to visit the dentist, partly also because the broken tooth was no longer bothering me. I did search for a holistic dentist who might be able to help me extract the way it should be, with removal of the periodontal ligament and any necrotic tissues and bones. But there aren't any holistic dentists in this part of the world.

I've started to have pain in the tooth now. It began a month back, and i was going to visit a dentist but then i did some home remedy and the pain went away, so i ended up not going. The pain came back again yesterday. It hurt when i eat on that side and i also noticed that the area right above that tooth in the gum hurt also. I oil-pulled with coconut oil and now there is no pain when i eat from that side, but there's still a dull ache in the gum area right above the tooth. So i went to see a different dentist today. Asked for a tooth extraction. She said she wouldn't advice me to do a dental implant, and she didn't really explain why i shouldn't go for an implant, said something about my other teeth being misaligned. She however thinks i should remove the broken tooth and the corresponding tooth on the other side and get orthodontic treatment. She's a general dentist so she referred me to an orthodontist. I haven't yet gone to see the orthodontist.

It'd be great if you could help me decide what my best possible choice is here. Implant? Orthodontic treatment or partial dentures. The reason why i don't prefer the orthodontic treatment is since i'd have to remove a healthy tooth. I'm okay with an implant, but the dentist who saw me advices against it.
dash is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote