Thread: New Member
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 08:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smirk New Member

I just joined this forum tonight. I have hydrocephalus and after my first shunt surgery in 2004 I wound up developing epilepsy as a result of having that shunt put in. My shunt only lasted 11 months before it started failing and the doctors locally wouldn't do anything about it. I had to walk around 1 and 1/2 years like that before anything was done. I finally had to go out of state to Baltimore for help to Johns Hopkins Hospital after attending a hydrocephalus conference in May of 2006. I met Dr. Michael Williams at that conference and was so impressed with him, I asked to become his patient even though I live in Minnesota. He said yes and though I had to travel to Baltimore 2 other times, it saved my life as far as I'm concerned. I did need a second shunt surgery from what he told me so I had that done just this past November.

I was not diangosed with hydrocephalus until I was 33 though I had symptoms as early as 17. I was told for years I had migranes. Finally I met someone that pushed the system to have tests done like CTs and an MRI done and the hydrocephalus was finally found. I also was told I wasn't born with it but it was due to head trauma. I know why too. I was abused growing up by my step-father... hit in the head and sometimes knocked unconsious from the blows to the head. I suspect that could have caused the hydrocpehalus in the first place.

I also have Bipolar disorder as well and was diagosed with that when I was 30. I also have PTSD and get occasional panic attacks as a result of the abuse my step-father did.

Anyway that is a basic introduction of me.

Terri
Terri is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote