View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 11:37 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waves View Post
It's the sudden heat change that does that.
They were never intended for that kind of abuse—even the old borosilicate glass. I found another site debunking this myth:

A Warning that Pyrex Glass Cookware Can Explode- Mostly Fiction!

...which includes posted instructions from the PYREX website.
Quote:
Any glass bakeware product can break if it is not used properly. For that reason, we want to remind consumers to review the PYREX® Safety and Usage Instructions provided with our products. While not a substitute for reviewing the entire Safety and Usage Instructions, set forth below are selected highlights.

PYREX GLASS BAKEWARE SAFETY AND USAGE INSTRUCTIONS:
  • NEVER use on top of the stove, under a broiler, in a toaster oven, or place over oven vent or pilot light.
  • AVOID severe hot to cold temperature changes, including:
    • DO NOT add liquid to hot dish
    • DO NOT place hot dish or glass cover in sink
    • DO NOT immerse hot dish in water
    • DO NOT place hot dish on cold or wet surfaces
    • Handle hot ovenware and glass covers with dry potholders
  • ALWAYS add a small amount of liquid to the vessel prior to baking foods that release liquids while cooking.
  • DO NOT overheat oil or butter in microwave. Use minimum amount of cooking time.
  • DO NOT use or repair any item that is chipped, cracked or scratched.
CARE INSTRUCTIONS:

To loosen baked-on-food, allow glass to cool, then soak.
If scouring is necessary, use only plastic or nylon cleaning pads with nonabrasive cleansers.

WARNING: Failure to follow these instructions can cause immediate or later breakage which can result in personal injury or property damage.
Unfortunately, World Kitchen has revamped their entire site since that (2009) article, and I cannot locate the same information on their new site.

I can clearly remember my mother teaching me about the proper use of pyrex bakeware from a very young age—as a matter of course with everything else she taught me about cooking, baking, etc. so it used to mystify me how so many people abused the stuff out of ignorance/assumption/misinformation, but then I learned...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein
Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote