View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 11:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Insurance for Tarlov cyst surgery

I want to warn people to make sure they have adequate insurance coverage. You have to call the insurance company, get the name of the agent and the reference number for the call. Document the date and time and subject of the call. Do this to find out if the hospital, anesthesiologist, doctor and procedure are covered. Do each separately. the procedures is called "treatment of sacral meningeal or tarlov cyst" if it is a "sacral" cyst. The procedure code for this one is 64999. In addition, Dr. Feigenbaum or who ever the provider is needs to make certain they get a "letter of authorization" that the insurance will pay for it. Be sure you do this separtately for "in network" questions and all other questions separately. Be sure to document. I was recently stuck with a bill from a hospital where both the insurance company and the provider informed me incorrectly and I could not prove I called. Don't let this happen to you!

Also Laura at Dr. Feigenbaum's office says they have difficulty getting insurance companies to pay and they may want you to do some of this leg work for them in advance or they will ask you to pay "up front" and you will just have to hope you get reimbursed. This could delay surgery but it could save you thousands of dollars.
ccmcguire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote