View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 02:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Updates

Hi Agent007,

I find it hard to measure the progress because I'm so close to it, as I'm sure you are as well. I've been keeping a log everyday (sometimes with her help, mostly without). When I read back over it, I still see all the same symptoms, but the frequency with which they present is changing. She has been having some better days, and has made some progress with trips outside of the house. I make sure to pay attention to new symptoms, and also to acknowledge the positive things she's able to accomplish, no matter how small. Our walks outside the apartment have gotten a bit easier, and she seems to be able to handle more of the world than she could last week. A lot of her initial symptoms return when she becomes overwhelmed or overly-anxious. This will lead to slowed speech, speaking very quietly, some trouble with balance, dull headaches, and a return to a dopey or childlike behavior.

Earplugs and sunglasses have been a huge help for our ventures out of the apartment. I can't recommend them enough. She has also found that listening to ambient noise or chants has helped to curb her stress when she is feeling anxious. There is an iphone/android app called iMeditate that's free and she has been using that every evening before bed.

We are meeting with a second neurologist next week, as the first one spent most of our visits typing on the computer and has left us both overwhelmed and confused with so many questions unanswered.

Besides trying to stay on top of the getting her medical attention that she needs and a clear recovery plan, these are a few things that I've found helpful. I'm not sure if they will be relevant to your girlfriend but I hope they can be of some use.

1) Going to bed at the same time every night, and letting her sleep as long as she needs to. Short naps / meditation breaks of about 20-30 minutes have also helped to recharge her during the day. She was taking long naps (2hrs) during the day, but I found that these long naps almost always lead to an emotional episode / difficulty coming back.

2) Drinking plenty of water, eating good meals, and having a regular vitamin regimen. Regardless of the direct impact of good nutrients, good food keeps her spirits up and something to look forward to. The vitamins seem like something to invest in for the long term, but we've been doing a multi, vit D3, iron (she's anemic), a B complex, and fish oil.

3) Spending time doing puzzles, listening to podcasts, and painting / drawing. All three of these have let her conscious mind shut off a bit and helps her to feel a sense of accomplishment.

4) Not asking her about her symptoms all the time. I ask in the morning and in the evening. Making sure to be steady and encouraging. My girlfriend's most alarming symptoms right now are emotional. If I am upset or stressed she can sense it and she will unwind, become very upset and needs to be consoled. I speak with my friends / family and am trying to find ways to take walks for my own head, but I find it important to keep a sense of positivity for her and make sure that her mind does not wander towards worry and anxiety.

I am hoping that we are starting to see the first steps towards her getting better, but like yourself, I'm not sure how long a recovery we're in for. Please share anything you're finding and please let me know how she is doing.
epicnirp is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
poetrymom (11-21-2013)