View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 08:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I went to my Dermatologist yesterday and he re[affirmed that any redness of my scalp and/or hair loss (which he agrees is happening) is a result of my "clawing" during the night.
He is convinced that this is a neurological situation.
He did however, order blood work to test for the conditions you mentioned:
temporal arteritis or vasculitis.
He think's it's unlikely - and was very surprised that the neurologist(s) haven't had this blood work done.
I told him about using Lidicaine 4% on the back of my neck, he questions this because he feels that something topical kike this wold not find it's way down to a brain stem issue (trigeminal nerve).
I have started to take a magneium supplement and will ask my migraine/neurologist for a shot of magnesium (a practice she advocates for migraine relief)
I'm also taking a supplement called "Complete Omega 3.6.9."
In addition, I have started again using "Integrative Therapeutics Petadolex," which contains "extract of butterbur (Petasites hybridus)"
I have no idea if any of these things work, I have over the past 5 years since the onset of these "attacks" used butterbur and Omega 3,6,9, and periodically gone off them as well thinking that they really have no effect.
Last night I used a cold pack on my neck as I went to sleep, and opened a window to cool off the room a bit (I live in an apartment building that is radiator heated and at times gets dry and way to hot.
I'm trying -
On another but related note, the hair loss may be related to a surgery i had this summer (in July). I had scheduled surgery for spinal stenosis and had to get a "cardio clearance" before hand. My cardiologist found 99% blockage in a carotid artery,
I was told that my back might hurt, but this condition could kill me.
My dermatologist thinks that a condition known as telegin efflivium.
I do see the migraine doctor, and my neurologist next week and I think that an MRI might be in order?
And thank you for all of your help, it feels much better to be discussing this and potentially doing something about it.....
Glyde 11209 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote