View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 11:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Shingles and trigeminal neuralgia

Yes, I have had shingles on the third branch of the trigeminal nerve. If you're not familiar with the new diagnoses there is now a diagnosis code specifically for pain secondary to shingles. I think it's PHN (Post-herpetic neuralgia) - Everybody, please be careful. Usually if the nerve is damaged by shingles you should really think about having any of the "conventional procedures" for TN. I've had Botox to facial nerves twice, nerve blocks X 2, and neurectomy of the V3 branch in Sept 2006 (no relief). I do have other contributing factors but I can tell when that nerve is going to "break out" again. Sad story: my brother in law (doctor) told me that trigeminal neuralgia (of all sorts) is call suicide pain. He said that people really do take a gun and try to "blow out the nerve". I don't think at the time they even consider suicide an option - it's just a last ditch effort to try to stop the pain. FAITH and HOPE - that's what keeps me from acting on any impulses.

PS - to the person whose pain increases in the evening. It's "sun-downing" - pain really does seem to increase at dark. I "save" up a dose of medicine and take it then.

I hope this helps. Janet
janet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote