View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 11:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepybo19 View Post
I have a hard time remembering things, or thinking of the right word to say. Also, when I am typing out long sentences, it is very difficult to keep my thoughts organized, or remember what the beginning of the sentence was about, or how ideas relate.

Most of the long-term posts I see relate to physical symptoms, such as headaches, which I am not having.

1. Did anyone else have these cognitive problems? When did they go away for you?
2. Is there anything I can do to speed up cognitive recovery?
Hi and welcome. I did have all the cognitive symptoms you describe. My initial neuropsychological assessment noted:

"Patient shows significant difficulties with visuospatial learning and recall, as well as mental flexibility and multitasking. He displays weaknesses in aspects of executive system functioning (retrieval of learned information, mental flexibility, abstract reasoning, problem solving, and verbal fluency).”

For me progress was gradual and weren't fully resolved for about five months.

I did receive speech and occupational therapy in the hospital, which began the recovery process. If you are seeing a MD such as a physiatrist (also called physical medicine and rehabilitation) they should be able to refer you.

Some things I did on my own that were helpful was working with arithmetic flash cards (when in hospital I couldn't correctly solve 7 x 4 = ?). Crossword puzzles may be helpful. Start with simple ones and move to harder ones.

If you struggle with reading comprehension (I did), I suggest keeping your reading to short articles (newspaper, magazines) rather than anything real heavy.

Quiet rest is also important. Balance rest with activities.

As concussions go yours is fairly recent, with rest and moderate cognitive activities I suspect you will start seeing continued progress.

Best to you
What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote