View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 03:36 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Re Antioxidants and crps

Hi I've been interested in antioxidants and how they could help sufferers of crps. There have been further studies about vitamin C for prevention of crps post wrist fractures. The dose recommended dose was increased from 500mg to 1 gram. If you are interested email me at oceanshores8@hotmail.com and I'll give you the link to my blog which has links to research about more recent studies and also a British group is now looking at vitamin C as a treatment for crps. Dr Scott Reuben in the USA has developed protocols for the prevention of crps post orthopeadic surgery, dental work and tissue trauma. I recieved an email from him saying they have now included 1 gram of vitamin C in their protocols. It was Dr Reuben who told me about the later research. My interest is because I had a colles wrist fracture about 2 years before they did the research.
Google Scott Reuben vitamin C for more infor or check my blog.
Now I wish to draw to your attention the way antioxidats work. Vitamin C is the antioxidant of focus for crps as it is the antioxidant that demolishes inflamation causing free radicals. However Antioxidants give and electron to a free radical making it safe but in so doing they themselves become a free radical. In the case of vitamin C, it gives an electron to a free radical and becomes a vitamin C free radical. If you consume a range of free radical you set up a balanced giving and taking of electrons so that you don't end up with eg a lot of vitamin C free radicals which is not a good thing. I hope I'm explain this well enough.

My opinion is that it is smart to increase antioxidants in diet by eating smart. You can actually have 1 gram of vitamin C in your diet by choosing foods wisely. Some food are super foods providing much higher antioxidant nutrients than others. I've developed an "eat smart" plan. It's on my blog with links to research etc. I've been helped by a dietition and "world's healthiest foods" website in the USA among others.
I hope this helps you. I think you are all very wise for many reasoons to look at this topic.
jeisea
jeisea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote