View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 11:23 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default be sure you know what this is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo3 View Post
Peggy, I agree with you about InSightec's ExAblate treatment. It seems very exciting. I spoke with the team testing it at the U of Va. a few weeks ago at a research conference. They are still waiting for final FDA approval to begin the PD study (not sure why its taking so long). The have begun researching it on PD in Switzerland. They are much further along with researching its use on Essential Tremor and told me the results have been great. They think they will get equally good results on PD Tremor since they intend to hit the exact same spot in the brain.

Just think if they can get similar results to DBS without having the surgery and other issues that go along with it..........
We got really excited about this, too, and actually corresponded with the Dr. in Switzerland.....it is different from DBS in several ways, the most important, to us, being that the ultrasound permanently severs the nerve that is the target. If it worked, that's great, but if you were an anomly and the typical target did not work for you, it's too late, the heat has destroyed that connection/nerve in the area that was the target.

I think it has huge potential too, and it's really exciting. I just don't know how they determine where to focus the ultrasound laser beam for each individual person: with DBS, you are awake and they can move the electrodes around to find the optimal placement with no damage, with this procedure, I don't think it works like that. But correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I am misunderstanding the procedure.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lab rat (11-24-2013), soccertese (11-23-2013), Tupelo3 (11-23-2013)