View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 12:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheTarbo View Post
Working out is what I love...I've been doing it right after turning 15 (19 now, I was 18 when assault happened). I stopped working outaltogether because I was told not to until I am symptom free. When I asked my neurologist, he said to ease myself into it and see how my body feels. It's been 4 months since the injury, so it is definitely post concussion syndrome. My workouts are heavy lifting, 5 to 10 reps. I tried working out a couple times but I didn't feel good. So I took some time off, and bought a membership 5 days ago. I hit the gym everyday since. I felt nauseous, and have a feeling like I have lack of sleep/no energy. Very fatigued. I pushed myself through it.

So my question is:

1) I feel like this injury may be permanent, if I haven't healed in 4 months....

2) Even though I feel nauseous, I want to workout anyways. If I do this, will this set me back with my head? Or is it just an issue of extra pain? I know doctors recommend no exercise due to risk of a head impact, but lifting weights is pretty safe. However... I am exercising at 100% capacity for 5-10 reps (lifting heavy). What effect will this kind of exercise have on PCS and recovery?
Hi Porsche,

Please do not exacerbate your symptoms by lifting weights. I experienced the exact same problem and tried to 'push through it'.

Over 2 years later I am regretting my decision to do this. Originally my symptoms were only worsened by weight lifting but now they are chronic and persistent.

I should have listened to my body and rested. I would do anything for a symptom free day now.

I know it is frustrating but use the time you have now for recovery. Lifting weights will only prolong it. I'm not sure but there could also be a 'window of opportunity' for maximal recovery in the early days which you do not want to miss.

Try low-intensity exercise (e.g. walking, stationary cycling) at sub-symptom level and go from there.

Halfnelson
Halfnelson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote